Grandview STP yesterday - Where are the shorebirds?

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2011

      I visited the Grandview Sewage Treatment Plant yesterday. My results were a
      little worse than Richard's were are Wenas Lake - only two species of
      shorebirds: 2 Killdeer and 1 American Avocet.

      There was the usual mixture of ducks, mostly still in eclipse plumage.

      Here is the list:

      Grandview STP, Yakima, US-WA

      Canada Goose 1
      American Wigeon 6
      Mallard X
      Northern Shoveler X
      Northern Pintail 8
      Green-winged Teal 2
      Lesser Scaup 2
      American Coot 24
      Killdeer 2
      American Avocet 1
      Mourning Dove 5
      Tree Swallow 4
      Bank Swallow 1
      Barn Swallow 12
      Song Sparrow 2
      White-crowned Sparrow 12

      I am wondering if the fall bird migration is delayed due to the last Spring
      in the Western U.S. and Canada. Or perhaps the shorebird migration route
      has shifted to the west and east of us. There haven't been many reports of
      high numbers of shorebirds through the usual hotspots in Eastern Washington,
      though. In fact, there haven't been many reports of rare passerine
      migrants, either.

      Denny Granstrand

      Denny Granstrand
      Yakima, WA