495 in the stack

  • Rich712
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31 8:44 PM

      Pulled into the parking lot behind the Yakima Herald at 7:22 pm. Low over the building, I estimated 400 Vaux's Swifts. As Greg and Elizabeth Bohn live only blocks away, I gave them a call. The flock thinned a bit over the next five minutes but at 7:30 they were back full strength. They began diving into the chimney at 7:31 and the bulk were in by 7:34. A couple of stragglers showed up around 7:45 and one took the plunge at 7:48.

      We averaged our counts and came up with 495. Fairly windy tonight, perhaps the swifts tucked in a little early. On a calm, warm night, they might linger a bit past sunset. The southbound migration should last a couple of weeks. Hopefully, there may be nightly shows at the Herald.

      Later,
      Rich Not-so-Swift

    • kevinslucas
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2011
        Last night we went to the chimney lot & got to see the show. We first saw birds high overhead shortly past 7 p.m. They collected & flew closer until hundreds seemed poised to repeat the schedule Rich described. But this time they seemed to be repeatedly spooked by pigeons, kestrels, crows, an observer walking around in the lot with camera pointed skyward, & finally by a duck, after which they all flew out of sight to the SSE. They'd seemed unfazed by several flythroughs by starlings. About 5 minutes later a group of 3 dozen returned over the stack. They were soon joined by a much larger group - but it seemed fewer than seen earlier. Most took the plunge just after 8 p.m., in less than 1 minute with 3 stragglers in at 8:09. Most seemed to plunge in, while several hoovered down next to the stream. I took a video, and might try a count when I get back to my computer.
        On the road,
        Kevin Lucas