Lark Sparrows

  • Scott R a y
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2011
      As I rolled down my driveway this afternoon I noticed several Lark Sparrows
      flush from the roadway. It's always about this time each year that they
      begin showing up at my place east of town.

      This year I have a smart phone with IBird installed on it. This app has all
      the birds of North America including their songs and calls. No more CDs or
      tapes to haul around.

      To make a longish story short, I stopped the car to play the Lark Sparrow
      song and, within seconds, there were three sparrows perched on my car,
      including one sitting inches from my face on the rolled-down window edge.
      All of them were hatch-year birds. This reaction made me wonder if they were
      associating the song with dad who might have arrived to feed them.

      Eventually I found about a dozen of these beautiful sparrows in my yard.

      Scott R
      Sent from my phone east of Yakima