re:July Update on Bluebirds

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2011
      In a message dated 7/28/2011 9:57:29 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      Rich712@... writes:

      The past six weeks have been more favorable to the bluebirds. With
      activity really winding down, the year-to-date total for fledged bluebirds
      stands
      at 347...307 Western and 40 Mountain. As of July 27, there were five eggs
      and 48 nestlings remaining in the twelve active boxes. Other than wrens,
      the only other species to fledge young this year was a pair of Tree
      Swallows in Box 93. Over the past ten years, the trail has averaged close
      to 440
      bluebirds per year. Last year, another cool spring year, 378 bluebirds
      fledged. It appears 2011 may barely creep past that figure.

      Chirp,

      In my prior post about the Vredenburgh Bluebird Trail (excerpt above), I
      neglected to mention that since its inception in 1982 boxes on the trail
      have been offered for sponsorship...think yearly rental fee.

      The sponsorship fee was restructured last October. There are currently
      three boxes that do not have sponsors. Two have magnificent views of Mount
      Rainier looming majestically in the sky to the west; the third box is active
      with its second clutch of the year.

      If you are interested in sponsoring one of these boxes, please contact me
      at my personal email address. The going rate is $10.00 per year. It is a
      great chance to become a participant of a bluebird conservation effort that
      is its thirtieth year and has fledged over 12,000 bluebirds in that time
      frame.

      Birding the Blue,
      Richard Repp - _rich712@..._ (mailto:rich712@...)
      Rich the Bluebird Snitch