Why birders are skeptics

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 23, 2011

      If you are not a skeptic, as far as bird sightings people report to you are
      concerned, you should be. Two calls to the YVAS phone line this week have
      driven that point home to me.

      The first was from a senior citizen in Terrace Heights. He called to report
      a rare bird that had landed on his car in his carport. He got photos of
      it. I stopped by his house this afternoon to see them. He said he went out
      the door to go to town earlier this week, found the bird perched on his car
      and the bird wouldn't fly away. He drove down the road with this bird
      perched on the top of his car, holding onto the top of a door. It stayed
      there until the car went around the corner and his wife couldn't see it
      anymore. He showed the photos to his daughter, who looked on-line and
      thought the bird was a German Owl. I had never heard of a German Owl. The
      bird was a domestic pigeon that had a lot of white on it. I searched
      on-line for German Owl and it turns out there is a pigeon called the German
      Owl. Go figure!

      The second call was from a guy who lives on N. 4th St. in Yakima. He said
      there was a pair of Yellow-throated Warblers, which nest in the Southeast
      U.S., nesting in the tree in his front yard. From his description I thought
      they were Common Yellowthroats. That would be a pretty odd place for Common
      Yellowthroats to be nesting, though he said he had a small pond under the
      tree. I stopped by there on my way home from Terrace Heights. The birds
      nesting in the tree are Cedar Waxwings, which like Common Yellowthroats,
      have a black mask.

      Live and learn!

      Denny Granstrand

      * * * * * * * * * * * *
      Denny Granstrand
      Yakima, WA
      dgranstrand AT gmail.com

      www.granstrand.net/gallery/

    • Scott R a y
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 23, 2011
        Thanks for the humorous report, Denny. 40+ years of birding has placed me
        solidly among the skeptics, but I learned something else from your report,
        too. And that is that I'm glad you have volunteered to be that person who
        checks out odd reports. To many of that kind of outcome would drive me
        crazy!

        Scott

        Scott R
        Yakima, WA