Lark Sparrow and Egrets at Toppenish

  • Elizabeth Bohn
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2011
      Yakkers,

      Yesterday my father and I went driving around Marion Drain and Lateral C.  We saw a few Lark Sparrows.  We also spotted three Great Egrets, one in each of the three nests.  There was also a Great Blue Heron in the trees close by nests.

      We also saw a few Bobolinks south of Toppenish Creek.  When we went by, they were mowing the grass field north of Marion Drain.  Hopefully, they did not mow the back of the field.

      Elizabeth Bohn

    • jon_leland
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2011
        Hi Elizabeth and Yakkers:

        I also took a visit to Toppenish NWR and Lateral C this weekend. I searched for, but couldnt find the Bobolinks, but it was a nice bird-filled morning nonetheless. The highlights for me were seeing a Great Egret flying overhead, a Black-chinned Hummingbird resting on a powerline (a lifer for me!), and listening to and watching all of the winnowing Wilson's Snipes in the meadow. I also saw a large owl on Lateral C hidden in the trees next to the first bridge, but I was unable to get a good enough view to determine the species before it flew off. The ticks at the NWR seemed extra thirsty, I discovered 11 uninvited hitchhikers on me just from the walk from the parking lot to the observation platform (ugh).

        Regards,
        Jon Leland
        Seattle WA

        Location: Toppenish NWR, Yakima County, Washington, US
        Sat Jul 02, 2011 06:00 AM

        Canada Goose
        Mallard
        Cinnamon Teal