Prairie Falcons at the Painted Rocks-12 June

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 12, 2011
      Hi Rachael,

      I was sent a photo of the Prairie Falcon nestlings at Painted Rocks so went
      to look for them today.

      We peered into the nest cleft about noon and it appears the falcons have
      fledged and departed. Sometimes, youngsters hang around the immediate
      vicinity of their nest site for a few weeks, sometimes not. We saw no sign
      of them.

      Can anyone think of another site within the city of Yakima site that has had
      nesting Prairie Falcons? I think that's pretty darn cool!
      .
      We did see and hear White-throated Swifts, and Violet-green and Cliff
      Swallows.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 12, 2011
        Hi Khanh,

        Good to hear from you! Maybe the winter was too tough on these birds? I hope the attached reports help.

        Good luck!

        Andy

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 12, 2011
          Without knowing for sure, I am assuming the nest is on the cliff that
          includes the painted rocks.

          Unfortunately, the Yakima City/county boundary excludes the entire Painted
          Rock cliff by about 20 feet. The city limits run south of Naches Heights
          Rd, north of West Powerhouse Road, and south of Ackley Road.

          :(

          Scott R
          Yakima, WA
          mryakima at gmail dot com

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 12, 2011
            I apologize for sending out the message below to everybody in birdyaksville...must be getting tired!

            Andy