Northern Pygmy-Owl in Parker Heights

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2002
      Yakkers,

      Saturday (March 30), my brother got a good look at a Northern Pygmy-Owl 5
      feet from their living room window in Parker Heights. It was in an
      introduced Red Maple. He clearly saw the black stripes on the birds hindneck
      (the "false" eyes), it's long tail, round head, and yellow eyes. He is very
      familiar with the Northern Saw-whet Owl, which winters in the orchards here.
      On taking wing, he noted the fast, direct flight style, quite unlike the
      languid beats of the saw-whet owl. The pygmy-owl is a resident of forests of
      the Cascades. In winter they frequently move downslope to the eastern edge
      of the Ponderosa Pine Zone, but are rare away from the mountains.