Re: article about the DNARS

  • Gordon and Joan
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2002
      >LONG BEACH, California (API)--Scientists on Friday excitedly unveiled what
      >they call the ultimate weapon in the fight to preserve endangered species.
      >The excitement surrounded the launch of the DNA Remote Sensing Satellite
      >(DNARS) from an ocean platform in the south Pacific.

      Is this for real? It sounds a little fishy - how does a satellite sense DNA
      material, especially from a "permanent geostationary orbit"? I did some
      searching on Google for some of the references, and none seem to check out.
      There is a Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, and a British
      Ornithological Union, but I didn't get a hit for the "Royal Society of
      Ornithologists" in the article. Similar zero results for DNARS, the
      National Association of Law Enforcement Organizations and the USGS High
      Island Wildlife Research Center.

      >Alyesheva Mentiroso, lead NASA scientist

      As I recall, mentiroso means "liar" in spanish!

      Is this article from the Onion?
    • Deb Davis & Ken Bevis
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 30, 2002
        I concur with Gordon. I think the DNARS satellite article is a hoax.
        Ken

        ----------
        > From: Gordon and Joan <craneg@...>
        > To: birdyak@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [BirdYak] Re: article about the DNARS
        > Date: Saturday, March 30, 2002 8:25 AM
        >

        > >LONG BEACH, California (API)--Scientists on Friday excitedly unveiled
        what
        > >they call the ultimate weapon in the fight to preserve endangered
        species.
        > >The excitement surrounded the launch of the DNA Remote Sensing Satellite
        > >(DNARS) from an ocean platform in the south Pacific.
        >
        > Is this for real? It sounds a little fishy - how does a satellite sense
        DNA
        > material, especially from a "permanent geostationary orbit"? I did some
        > searching on Google for some of the references, and none seem to check
        out.
        > There is a Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, and a British
        > Ornithological Union, but I didn't get a hit for the "Royal Society of
        > Ornithologists" in the article. Similar zero results for DNARS, the
        > National Association of Law Enforcement Organizations and the USGS High
        > Island Wildlife Research Center.
        >
        > >Alyesheva Mentiroso, lead NASA scientist
        >
        > As I recall, mentiroso means "liar" in spanish!
        >
        > Is this article from the Onion?

      • Kathleen Ross
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 30, 2002
          Sounds like April Fool's to me . . . K