Ospreys return to Yakima Greenway

  • Scott R a y
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2011
      Wednesday afternoon two Ospreys were cruising up and down the Yakima River
      between Sarg Hubbard Park and the arboretum.

      Scott R
      Yakima, WA
      mryakima at gmail dot com

    • kevinslucas
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 31, 2011
        Thanks for your heads up. As we were hopefully looking through the
        trees towards the river, Mary & I got to see a solo and a pair of
        Ospreys this evening from Sportsman's Park. The solo bird headed up
        river, while the we last saw the pair heading down river, southeast
        over Nob Hill bridge.
        We also saw 6 Turkey Vultures. The TV's were in a group of 5, with
        another a few minutes behind, heading northeast. Later we saw 5
        heading back southwest.
        Earlier, we saw one Yellow-headed Blackbird from the platform at the
        reedy area. We saw another blackbird that I'd like help identifying.
        I've posted photos.
        As we walked around the large pond, a juvenile Sharp-shinned Hawk flew
        from near the beaver den across, and landed on some reeds. Later we
        saw what looked like the same individual fly into the top of a tall
        tree in the park area. After a few minutes, it flew back down and
        across the same pond.

        Kevin Lucas & Mary Giovanini