Re: [BirdYak] Yesterday's birds

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2011

      Yesterday I stumbled about two miles east of the Cowiche Canyon
      parking lot at the Weikel entrance, stopping at bridge 7.

      At the entrance parking lot, a Great Horned Owl was visible horizontal
      on a nest high on a rock face behind the house north of the creek.
      Ellen discovered a nest at this same location last year I believe.
      Look for the graffiti on the rocks...white paint, three initials with the
      first letter being J. The nest is about ten feet higher and ten feet to
      the left of this unsightly scrawl.

      At bridge four, a Red-tailed Hawk was standing on a stick nest high
      on the north wall. A passing couple clued me that the hawks had
      been displaying and carrying sticks a bit earlier.

      Just past bridge six, a Great Horned Owl was perched in a Ponderosa
      Pine.

      Walking out, a Northern Shrike flew up on a scruffy, short tree carrying
      the valley's stubbiest rodent in its beak.

      Crossing back across bridge one, an American Dipper was taking a
      quick spritz bath a few yards upstream. Once cleansed, it floated
      downstream and under the bridge. I waited for it to exit as a mini-
      waterfall or torrent of rapids was on that side of the bridge; I was
      curious to see how it would navigate the peril. But, as it was nearing
      sunset, it apparently elected to hole up under the bridge for the night.

      Five Golden-crowned Sparrows were working weed seeds between
      abandoned vehicle hulks directly opposite dos burrows as I plodded
      back to the parking lot.

      Befuddled Birder by 3700 Bonnie Boone