Yesterday's birds

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27 4:58 PM
      HI Yakkers,

      Yesterday I stumbled upon a Golden Eagle about two miles west of the Snow
      Mountain Ranch parking lot. It stayed long enough for photos. Four of them
      are in the new photos folder on my website:

      http://www.granstrand.net/gallery/newphotos

      A Merlin was perched high in a tree about a mile east of the eagle. It was
      in the tree for over half an hour, which I thought was unusual until I got
      it in the scope and noticed that it had a very full crop.

      Denny Granstrand

      * * * * * * * * * * * *
      Denny Granstrand
      Yakima, WA
      dgranstrand AT gmail.com

      www.granstrand.net/gallery/

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 27 7:41 PM

        Yesterday I stumbled about two miles east of the Cowiche Canyon
        parking lot at the Weikel entrance, stopping at bridge 7.

        At the entrance parking lot, a Great Horned Owl was visible horizontal
        on a nest high on a rock face behind the house north of the creek.
        Ellen discovered a nest at this same location last year I believe.
        Look for the graffiti on the rocks...white paint, three initials with the
        first letter being J. The nest is about ten feet higher and ten feet to
        the left of this unsightly scrawl.

        At bridge four, a Red-tailed Hawk was standing on a stick nest high
        on the north wall. A passing couple clued me that the hawks had
        been displaying and carrying sticks a bit earlier.

        Just past bridge six, a Great Horned Owl was perched in a Ponderosa
        Pine.

        Walking out, a Northern Shrike flew up on a scruffy, short tree carrying
        the valley's stubbiest rodent in its beak.

        Crossing back across bridge one, an American Dipper was taking a
        quick spritz bath a few yards upstream. Once cleansed, it floated
        downstream and under the bridge. I waited for it to exit as a mini-
        waterfall or torrent of rapids was on that side of the bridge; I was
        curious to see how it would navigate the peril. But, as it was nearing
        sunset, it apparently elected to hole up under the bridge for the night.

        Five Golden-crowned Sparrows were working weed seeds between
        abandoned vehicle hulks directly opposite dos burrows as I plodded
        back to the parking lot.

        Befuddled Birder by 3700 Bonnie Boone