Birds in the Lower Valley today

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2011

      I was in the Lower Valley this morning for work and wandered around a little
      before and after.

      The Great Egret that Elizabeth reported yesterday was still at the pond at
      Fort Road and Lateral C this morning.

      On Marion Drain Road just east of Campbell Road there were many blackbirds -
      Brewer's, Red-winged, a few Yellow-headed with some Brown-headed Cowbirds
      mixed in. Several flocks were flying north and south of Marion Drain. I
      estimated 4-5000 birds total. There were several really interesting
      blackbirds on the wires along the road. Unfortunately, I sent my scope in
      for repair so I only had my bins.

      A close look at these flocks, if they stay near the road, may yield
      Tri-colored Blackbird and Rusty Blackbird. It will take perseverance, of
      course.

      I found two Great Horned Owls - one in a tree in a grove on the north side
      of Fort Road about a 3/4-mile east of Lateral A and one in poplars on the
      property I inspected.

      Denny Granstrand

      Denny Granstrand
      Yakima, WA