Horse Heaven Hills

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2011
      Today, January 1 we celebrated the New Year for a couple years on the Horse
      Heaven Hills Winter Route-Yakima County. We completed the route on the west
      side of Alderdale-Mabton Road only. Raptors were the highlight, with several
      very beautiful dark morph Rough-legged Hawks. Here's the list:

      California Quail 10
      Ring-necked Pheasant 3
      Northern Harrier 1
      Red-tailed Hawk (Western) 5
      Rough-legged Hawk 17
      American Kestrel 4
      Prairie Falcon 1
      Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) 1
      Northern Shrike 3
      Black-billed Magpie 2
      Common Raven 5
      Horned Lark 85
      Townsend's Solitaire 1
      European Starling 1
      Song Sparrow 2
      White-crowned Sparrow (Gambel's) 20
      Golden-crowned Sparrow 1
      Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon) 25
      House Finch 5

      Andy and Ellen Stepniewski
    • Scott Downes
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 27, 2011
        Went exploring in the Yakima County portion of the Horse Heaven hills this morning hoping to stumble upon a snowy owl given the recent influx of them. No luck on snowy owls or gyrfalcons but did manage to find a single Lapland longspur among a flock of horned larks on Ridge Rd. Good study of numbers of rough-legged hawks present in both immatures and adult male and females.

        Full species list for my two hours of effort:

        Gray Partridge 7
        Northern Harrier 9
        Red-tailed Hawk 3
        Rough-legged Hawk 8
        American Kestrel 7
        Rock Pigeon X
        Mourning Dove X
        Northern Flicker 1
        Northern Shrike 1
        Black-billed Magpie X
        Common Raven X
        Horned Lark X
        Mountain Bluebird 2
        European Starling X
        Lapland Longspur 1
        Western Meadowlark X
        House Finch 15
        American Goldfinch 5
        House Sparrow 15

        Of note in our yard, the immature Anna's hummingbird remains but isn't visiting the feeder any more frequent than earlier in November despite the lack of flower blooms since the hard freeze.

        Scott Downes
        downess@...
        Yakima WA