Snow, Red Crossbills & Merlin

  • Lori Isley
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 2010
      Hi all - Another snowy morning here in Yakima.... Yesterday morning
      (12-21-2010), as we were heading out the door at home to go to work,
      Stan heard the �kip kip kip� call notes of Red Crossbills. Sure
      enough, a group of about 8 Red Crossbills were feeding atop a big
      Douglas Fir tree located a few houses north of us � just SW of the
      corner of MacLaren St. and south 18th Avenue in Yakima. Stan went
      back inside and got our spotting scope and got nice views of both
      male and female Red Crossbills feeding, until a Merlin came out of
      nowhere and rocketed by, scattering the birds. Maybe these
      crossbills will stick around for the Yakima CBC?! Cheers.

      Stan & Lori Isley
      18th Avenue, Yakima