Sparrow Patch South 30 Nov

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2010

      I ventured down to the Poppoff Trail Tuesday afternoon to clear away snow
      from the sparrow feeding area.

      YVAS has two locations where seed is tossed to attract winter birds. One
      is located behind the Arboretum and the second is the Sparrow Patch
      South. From the parking lot at the Poppoff Trail, follow the paved trail
      north for one-half mile. The Greenway places concrete markers every
      quarter mile along the pathway. The marker at the parking lot is the
      six and three-quarter mile marker. The six and one-quarter mile marker
      is directly across from the Sparrow Patch feeding area...this is just a
      couple hundred yards north of the paved trail's intersection with the
      gravel
      Poppoff Trail.

      One of the goals of the feeding areas is to enhance the Yakima Christmas
      Bird Count with a few hoped for species such as Fox Sparrow, White-
      Throated Sparrow, and Harris's Sparrow.

      To date only Fox Sparrows have been noted at the feeding patches this
      winter.

      I left two half-gallon plastic juice bottles full of bird seed behind the
      big log
      at the Sparrow Patch South...hope to get a five-gallon bucket out there
      soon. At the Arboretum Sparrow Patch, Denny has a 30 gal garbage can
      of seed. If you go by either location, toss some seed if the ground is
      bare
      and then report any unusual sightings to BirdYak.

      Both locations are great to study winter sparrows to hone your
      identification
      skills.

      Location: Sparrow Patch South
      Observation date: 10/30/10
      Notes: Cleared snow from sparrow patch, walked to treatment pond
      24 degrees, overcast, calm, hoary frost on trees
      Number of species: 18

      Mallard 4
      California Quail 24
      Northern Harrier 1
      Cooper's Hawk 1
      American Kestrel 1
      Belted Kingfisher 1
      Northern Flicker 3
      Black-billed Magpie 1
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1
      Varied Thrush 1
      European Starling 10
      Spotted Towhee 1
      Fox Sparrow 1
      Song Sparrow 4
      White-crowned Sparrow 20
      Golden-crowned Sparrow 4
      Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon) 30
      House Finch 2

      This report was generated automatically by eBird v2

      Poppoff Pauper
      Onion Gulch, WA