wrens

  • President-for-Life, Moclips Surf Club
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30 11:59 AM
      Today near Suntides along Buckskin Slough, we were visited by a Bewick's and I heard and saw a rock wren on a early walk. Should those wrens be getting out of here?
    • Jeff Kozma
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30 12:08 PM
        Both these species are regular winter residents in the valley. Rock Wrens
        are pretty much non-migratory from what I understand, residing year-round in
        the same area. However, Bewick's Wrens do make seasonal movements, and we
        probably get some birds wintering in the valley that breed further north.
        When I was doing research in New Mexico, we would capture Bewick's Wrens in
        mist-nets that were wintering in riparian areas of the Chihuahuan Desert,
        but they didn't breed there. So, Bewick's Wrens do migrate, with some
        wintering in more northerly areas, but Rock Wrens and Canyon Wrens are
        permanent residents and probably not migratory to any extent.

        Jeff

        Today near Suntides along Buckskin Slough, we were visited by a Bewick's and
        I heard and saw a rock wren on a early walk. Should those wrens be getting
        out of here?

      • Scott Downes
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 30 2:48 PM
          Rock Wrens are at least partly migratory, especially in the more wintery parts of the Columbia basin. Some remain, especially in the lower elevation areas but most of the population does leave for the winter. In my experience, however they are somewhat late migrants, only leaving when weather conditions get wintery enough to force them out, i.e. about in October/November. Yakima is low enough that some Rock Wrens do certainly winter, but not all.

          Scott Downes
          downess@...
          Yakima WA