birds

  • gunter hadersberger
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 13 4:25 PM
      eh,  found no grackle, from there to the s side cut off :  mile 13 about, am or water pipit, mile 22 or about , l h shrike,  mile 27, the old white hut on the left,  horned lark, and in the hut there is a large nest. there was nothing to see today but if you get there check it out.

      why are the birds you want to see on a road with no room to stop ?????

      gunter
      s side
    • g.r.hadersberger
      Message 2 of 11 , May 20, 2004
        eh all, s- satus m-mobar

        d c cormorant s & m
        b c night heron m
        w duck s
        mallard s
        c teal s
        n shoveler s
        n harrier s
        r t hawk s
        a kestrel s
        c quail s
        killdeer s
        spotted sandpiper s
        morning pigeon s
        w kingbird s
        b swallow s& m
        a crow s
        c ravem s
        r w b bird s&m

        seven(7) b c cormmoramt nests i one tree. M

        thur may 20, sunny warm, no wind

        gunter

      • tyler munson
        Message 3 of 11 , May 15, 2006
          I took the 4-wheeler out tonight to water a newly planted oak at the upper pond, and I'm sure glad I waited till after sunset to do so. arriving on the bank I spotted the green-winged teal hen which had stayed the whole tail end of the winter, and early sprig on the pond with a boyfriend. 3 or 4 weeks ago they both dissapeared but tonight she was out there with 2 newly hatched ducklings. I thought she would have more, but the others could have been hidden in the weeds nearby. above the pond there were many bats flitting around, and one of the barn owls from the nest box flew overhead clicking and giving off a variety of high pithced remarks. as I drove off the partial albino red tail flew out of the cottonwood grove and landed in some russian olives 100 yrds. away. If you see this red tail in the daylight it is really odd looking it has mostly all white tail feathers with a few red mixed in, a speckling of white feathers on the back, and 4 white flights in the middle of
          each wing. I'm pretty sure it's a female because it often circles with a rather dull looking red tail who is comparibly smaller. The Black Necked stilts are getting ready to nest on the dairy drainage pit across the road, and last week they were on the upper pond sifting through the algae in a shallow spot. the nest box now officially has 6 barn owl chicks ranging from a very large and aggressive 5 week old, and tapering down to a little 2 week old. 2 weeks ago I recieved a batch of 9 mallard eggs when a grape vineyard was being torn out at the prosser WSU research station. 2 of the eggs have succesfully hatched while 2 did not. Others are hatching as I write this. the pheasant eggs I recieved are only 1 week into their incubation, but I'll keep you updated. there has been many white and gold crowned sparrows still at the feeders, although the number of white crowns has dropped quite a bit, the number of gold crowns has actually risen. there is also a cassin's finch, and 2
          male house finches, 1red and the other orange. a swarm of 4-5 thousand honey bees drifted across the farm yesterday before finally entering a hollow limb on the 100+ yr. old cottonwood, the same limb a pair of barn owls nested in last year. I have to say if any owls decide they want to live there I'll steer clear of them because they have to be pretty tough to go inside. also we have had an occasional hummingbird drift through, some of which find the feeder, but they don't stick around long. the only one who did not have the sun sillougheting it, I ended up missing, but my grandma IDd it as a Caliope - if I spelled that right. last friday there was a baltimore oriel in the yakinsburg canyon (Yakima or Ellensburg) and a prainie falcon.

          Is this message long enough?

          Tyler Munson

        • tyler munson
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 7, 2006
            Hey birders,
            2 weeks ago I saw a burrowing owl on a post just off of the road near othello.
            last weekend I stopped by the Othello WSU research station which was only 1/2 a mile from my previous sighting. as soon as I pulled off the road, there flew an owl into a nearby alfalpha field, then up onto the entrance sign. I got a quick photo before it again flew off. driving around we counted a total of 11 owls 1 was a fuzzy chick who ventured out while the parents stood guard at the entrance. another was a fledgling.
            there is a pintail hen with about 8 chicks on the canal (the Sunnyside Ca.) above our place. and the kingbirds are attempting to nest on some power poles across the road. the barn owl chicks (still 6 left) will be hard pinned and ready to fly in just a few weeks. I have some pretty good photos, but no way to post them to show them off. I could send them individually but that would take forever. If I had a better-working camera, the photos would be much better. But when something rattles around when you shake it, you know it's not doing very well.

            Tyler Munson

          • Linda Miller
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 8, 2010
              My husband went walking with our dogs today through the gap and saw two grown canada geese with their young,  the great blue heron that is always there,  two pelicans, a white egret, and one otter.  I missed it all.  Just wait, none of them will be there tomorrow.