Surf Scoter and Red-necked Grebe this afternoon

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2010

      I saw the Surf Scoter this afternoon at the Robertson Landing, along
      with a Red-necked Grebe in breeding plumage. After consulting Mr.
      Sibley, I think the scoter is an adult female.

      I saw the grebe only briefly. It was beside the scoter for a few
      seconds, then it dove. Odd as it may seem, I never saw it again. It
      either surfaced and few away, or became entangled in old fishing line
      and perished. Or it hunkered down in the brush beside the slough and
      watched me looking for it.

      Denny Granstrand

      Denny Granstrand
      Yakima, WA