Ross's Thoughts, Part 1

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2010
      Chirp,

      I am fully aware that I do not have the creds of others commenting.
      That said:
      I question the assumption that the Ross's Goose arrived with, travels
      with or strongly associates with the Canada Geese frequenting the
      Randall Park Pond.

      Jim Christensen mentioned several times that he was photographing
      the Ross's when 140+ Canada Geese arrived on Wednesday morning.
      Prior to that, Ross was the only goose in sight.

      Thursday morning, several good birders seeking the Ross's did not
      find it. In the late morning, it was seen. Though there were no other
      geese present in the early morning, the fact that 150 Canada were
      present when the Ross's was seen later in the morning may suggest
      that the Ross's moved with the flock. It does not eliminate the chance
      that the Ross's was "hidden" in a blind spot during the early morning
      searches. Again, on Wednesday morning, there were initially NO
      Canada Geese at the park when the Ross's was first spotted.

      We do not know when the Ross's arrived at Randall. Jim C., uses
      his computer for little else than photography. Photography is his
      passion/hobby, though he has a strong interest in shooting birds.
      He does not subscribe to BirdYak, and, therefore, has not commented.
      I know Jim pounds the core of Yakima County seeking photos. I
      do not know how frequently he visits Randall.

      I live close to Randall but it ranks low on my list of frequent birding
      stops. When I am there, however, it is rare indeed to see another
      binocular aimed at birds. My point is, the Ross's may have arrived
      on Tuesday or Wednesday OR a week ago OR two weeks ago.

      It may have arrived alone or with other waterfowl. If it arrived with
      others, how strongly bonded would it be to that flocks movements?
      Perhaps it came with an "edgy" wild flock that landed while the current
      "tame acting locals" were on the pond. Is it not possible that these
      edgy geese flushed when the first kid of the day charged the pond
      with a loaf of stale bread BUT the Ross's decided to stay?

      On my two visits this week, I was struck by how approachable
      many of the Canada Geese were, often standing in close proximity
      of people feeding the ducks. Once I was within four feet of a Canada
      and wondered if I could tempt it with the white note card I was using
      to compile my list. The goose eyed my extended hand and I think
      it could have easily reached the bait but it elected to sidle away.

      I do not recall ever getting that close to geese frequenting the lawn
      at the Arboretum or Sarg Hubbard Park. I would guess ten yards
      is as close as I have been allowed to approach before they walk or
      fly. Many of the current Randall Canadas also strike me as being
      smaller than the geese encountered at Hubbard and the Arboretum.

      Perhaps Denny or others who use cameras could clarify how close
      local geese normally tolerate interested humans.

      In summary, Ross seems to be an independent loner who prefers
      to lounge on the island. He seems very tentative when he enters
      the water, slowly picking and thinking his way off the island. Does
      not seem to follow or pal with anyone.

      Has anyone actually seen him fly?

      Befuddled Birder by 3700 Bonnie Boone