Common Tern at Wenas Lake

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2010

      I visited Wenas Lake this morning. There was another adult Common
      Tern there. It rested long enough on the mudflats for me to get some
      photos. One is in the new photos folder on my website. It appears
      quite washed out because of the bright morning sun. Shorebird numbers
      were down except for Killdeer and snipe

      Here is the list:

      Location: Wenas Lake
      Observation date: 9/11/10
      Number of species: 19

      Canada Goose 35
      American Wigeon 6
      Mallard X
      Green-winged Teal 4
      Hooded Merganser 1
      Pied-billed Grebe 3
      Red-tailed Hawk 1
      American Coot 1
      Killdeer 15
      Greater Yellowlegs 2
      Least Sandpiper 4
      Baird's Sandpiper 2
      Pectoral Sandpiper 1
      Long-billed Dowitcher 1
      Wilson's Snipe 16
      Common Tern 1
      Northern Rough-winged Swallow X
      Violet-green Swallow X
      Western Meadowlark 3

      This report was generated automatically by eBird.

      I went from the lake to the USDA Moxee Field Station, which we used to
      call the Moxee Experimental Station. I was looking for migrants.
      Nothing exciting to report except for one Townsend's Solitaire and one
      Barn Owl that looked completely white. The owl was very timid and
      wouldn't sit still for me to get a look at it except when it was
      flying.

      I have been hoping to find some rarer migrants at the station but so
      far haven't. The only Blackpoll Warbler seen in Yakima County was
      found at the station on Aug. 28, 1993 by a Victor Emmanuel birding
      tour group.

      Here is the list:

      Location: USDA Moxee Field Station
      Observation date: 9/11/10
      Number of species: 20

      California Quail 1
      Rock Pigeon 3
      Eurasian Collared-Dove 1
      Mourning Dove 6
      Barn Owl 5
      Great Horned Owl 1
      Olive-sided Flycatcher 1
      Western Wood-Pewee 2
      Hammond's Flycatcher 1
      Black-billed Magpie 24
      Common Raven 8
      Red-breasted Nuthatch 4
      House Wren 1
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet 5
      Townsend's Solitaire 1
      American Robin 14
      Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) 3
      White-crowned Sparrow 1
      Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon) 18
      House Finch 12

      This report was generated automatically by eBird

      Denny Granstrand
      Southwest of the Yakima airport and beyond

      Denny Granstrand
      Yakima, WA
      dgranstrand AT gmail.com
      www.granstrand.net/gallery/