Common Redpolls

  • Scott Ray
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2002
      Grandview was the Common Redpoll capital for Yakima County today with more
      than 50 birds in 4 birch trees in the 1500-1700 blocks of W 5th Street.

      Scott Ray
      Yakima
      scray@...
    • Jeff Kozma
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 9, 2007

        I was just out in the parking lot at work, in Toppenish, getting some
        stuff out of my work truck when I heard some birds going over head that
        had the coarse, "chet, chet, chet" call of Common Redpolls. It took a
        minute to register, but then I looked up and saw 4 finch-like birds in
        goldfinch-like flight flying overheard towards town. I went inside and
        confirmed my suspicions with verification of redpoll call notes on the
        Internet.

        Not a bad Friday after all.

        Jeff Kozma

      • Jeff Kozma
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 31, 2012
          I was out in the Wenas today driving along North Wenas Road and Umptanum
          Roads checking out the snow levels to see if I could have access to any of
          my study areas. About .2 miles before the parking area for Umptanum Falls,
          I saw a flock of 44 Common Redpolls (maybe more but it was hard to count
          them) actively feeding on alder cones in the alder trees along Umptanum
          Creek. They were actively feeding and foraging and it was fun to watch
          them hanging and manipulating the alder cones. Eventually a Northern
          Shrike flew in and scattered the flock of redpolls. I think this is
          probably the same flock of redpolls reported late last year.

          Jeff Kozma

          Yakima