Wind River, WY Bird Trip List - August 21-29, 2010

  • Lori Isley
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2010
      Yakkers - Stan and I and friends spent last week backpacking in the
      Wind River mountains in Wyoming. A short trip report and list of the
      59 species of birds we saw or heard traveling from Yakima to the Wind
      River and in the mountains follows. The birds in purple bold are the
      ones we saw or heard during our backpacking trip from the trailhead
      at Boulder Lake up to the Continental Divide and the many lakes and
      trails along the way. It was a special treat to have a BOREAL OWL
      fly through our camp in response to Stan playing the call of a Boreal
      Owl on his �BirdJam�. On one of our "rest days" it was also a
      highlight for Stan and me to find about 30 GRAY-CROWNED ROSY-FINCHES
      (mostly juveniles) along the cliffs above the first of the three
      lakes above the unnamed lake we dubbed �Alpine Lake�. This area
      proved to be a great spot when fellow hiker Bob picked out a PRAIRIE
      FALCON high in the sky above the second lake. Meanwhile, somewhere
      near Valley Lake, other members of our group witnessed a GOLDEN EAGLE
      juvenile take on two OSPREYS evidently competing for the good fishing
      grounds. A surprise were the GREEN-TAILED TOWHEES - Stan heard and
      saw one below our camp near Pipestone Lakes, and Stan, Bob and I
      enjoyed views of another one as we hiked up toward Alpine Lake. At
      "Lisa Lake" aka "Golden Lake", our friend Lisa spotted a SPOTTED
      SANDPIPER and on two different days a number of us had views of a
      downy Spotty chick. Both cars in the caravan saw SANDHILL CRANES in
      the fields around Pinedale. A list of mammals follows the bird list.
      It was a great trip. Happy Trails! Lori

      Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)
      Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)
      Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula)
      Sharp-tailed Grouse (Tympanuchus phasianellus)
      Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
      Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura)
      Osprey (Pandion haliaetus)
      Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)
      Northern Harrier (Circus cyaneus)
      Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus)
      Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii)
      Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)
      Golden Eagle (Aquila chrysaetos)
      American Kestrel (Falco sparverius)
      Prairie Falcon (Falco mexicanus)
      Sandhill Crane (Grus canadensis)
      Spotted Sandpiper (Actitis macularius)
      Rock Pigeon (Columba livia)
      Eurasian Collared-Dove (Streptopelia decaocto)
      Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura)
      Great Horned Owl (Bubo virginianus)
      Boreal Owl (Aegolius funereus)
      Common Nighthawk (Chordeiles minor)
      Belted Kingfisher (Ceryle alcyon)
      Hairy Woodpecker (Picoides villosus)
      American Three-toed Woodpecker (Picoides dorsalis)
      Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)
      Western Wood-Pewee (Contopus sordidulus)
      Gray Jay (Perisoreus canadensis)
      Steller's Jay (Cyanocitta stelleri)
      Western Scrub-Jay (Aphelocoma californica)
      Clark's Nutcracker (Nucifraga columbiana)
      Black-billed Magpie (Pica hudsonia)
      Common Raven (Corvus corax)
      Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)
      Mountain Chickadee (Poecile gambeli)
      Red-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta canadensis)
      Brown Creeper (Certhia americana)
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula)
      Mountain Bluebird (Sialia currucoides)
      American Robin (Turdus migratorius)
      European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)
      American Pipit (Anthus rubescens)
      Orange-crowned Warbler (Vermivora celata)
      Yellow-rumped Warbler (Dendroica coronata)
      Townsend's Warbler (Dendroica townsendi)
      Wilson's Warbler (Wilsonia pusilla)
      Western Tanager (Piranga ludoviciana)
      Green-tailed Towhee (Pipilo chlorurus)
      Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina)
      White-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia leucophrys)
      Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis) - Pink-sided race
      Western Meadowlark (Sturnella neglecta)
      Brewer's Blackbird (Euphagus cyanocephalus)
      Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch (Leucosticte tephrocotis)
      Pine Grosbeak (Pinicola enucleator)
      Cassin's Finch (Carpodacus cassinii)
      Red Crossbill (Loxia curvirostra)
      Pine Siskin (Carduelis pinus)

      Mammals

      Red Squirrel (making Kingfisher like calls)
      Beaver (pond above Ethel Lake)
      Pika (near first lake above Alpine Lake)
      Pronghorn
      Red Fox
      White-tailed Deer