Red-necked Phalaropes at Grandview

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2010
      Chirp,

      Teamed up again with John H. after a lower elevation climb at Sunrise
      on Mt Rainier on Monday to explore the bowels of the valley bottom
      at the Grandview Sewage Treatment Plant (STP) today. For a chubby
      guy, the climb evoked a "Whew!" A STP tour is worth a "Phew!"

      Can't help it, I feel a rhyme
      Can't stop it, must the afterglow of the slime

      Went from the pristine beauty of alpine flowers
      To the toilet depository of Grandview towners.

      One area was clean & clear, flush with fresh air
      The other, full of flushes, you took a breath on a dare

      At 7,000 feet, one is blessed with nature, undisturbed and raw
      At the STP, the call of nature is processed with an aroma flaw

      Glaciers at Mt Rainier serve a constant closeness to snow
      Treatment plants serve remnants of when someone just had to go

      Mysteriously, birds at both locations appear immaculately clean
      A lesson in life, our meals, matters not where we go to glean?

      Location: Grandview Waste Water Treatment Plant
      Observation date: 8/18/10
      Notes: also (50+ Duck, sp) and (8 Teal, sp with blue wing patches)
      90+ degrees, sunny, slight breeze
      Number of species: 21

      Canada Goose 1
      Mallard 15
      Green-winged Teal 1
      Bufflehead 1
      Ruddy Duck 1
      Great Blue Heron 1
      Red-tailed Hawk 1
      Killdeer 15
      Black-necked Stilt 2
      Spotted Sandpiper 1
      Semipalmated Sandpiper 1
      Western Sandpiper 3
      Least Sandpiper 5
      Long-billed Dowitcher 3
      Wilson's Snipe 2
      Red-necked Phalarope 13
      Rock Pigeon 2
      Western Kingbird 1
      Eastern Kingbird 2
      Black-billed Magpie 2
      Red-winged Blackbird 2

      This report was generated automatically by eBird v2

      Note - we had limited time and concentrated on locating and
      viewing (nifty sidestep from identifying) shorebirds. The counts
      on the shorebirds are all probably low but the birds were moving
      around quite a bit, jumping from mud to islands of rocks in the
      ponds. The ducks, in general, all looked brown...didn't have the
      time or inclination to bog down on species.

      Befuddled Birder by 3700 Bonnie Boone