Bear Creek Mountain hike this Saturday

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18 9:24 PM
      Hi Yakkers,

      I will be leading a YVAS field trip to Bear Creek Mountain this
      Saturday. We meet at 40th Ave. Bi-Mart at 7:00 a.m.

      The hike is about 7 miles long round trip with an elevation gain of
      1400 if you go to the top. Last year we saw White-winged and Red
      Crossbills in the trailhead parking lot, plus many other birds along
      the trail..

      White-tailed Ptarmigan were reported last year in a meadow at the base
      of Bear Creek Mountain. The more people we have searching the
      mountain, the better our chances of finding one.

      This is a fairly rigorous hike. It is not for the faint-of-heart or
      for people not used to a good steep walk in the woods. The trail
      seems to go straight up as it leaves the trailhead and gets steeper as
      it goes. It does wander through some nice meadows along the way.

      If you are interested, please contact me to say you are going. Bring
      lunch and snacks, lots of beverages, wear stout hiking boots and bring
      a jacket.. The high temperature for White Pass summit Saturday is
      only 61 degrees. You might want to bring a rain jacket just in case.

      Wonderful birds, stunning vistas, exhausting hills and the chance to
      spend the next six days wandering aimlessly lost in the woods. Sounds
      like a typical YVAS field trip to me.

      Denny Granstrand
      Your fearless leader

      Denny Granstrand