bullfrogs

  • Sturnella@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 24, 2010
      Hi Yakkers

      We have lived at our place on Konnowac Pass for 28 years. We have a big
      pond. We have never had Bullfrogs before. Two showed up just a few weeks ago,
      at last count today there are 7. There are a couple really big ones and a
      couple pretty small ones.
      I walked to my neighbors pond and there are 5 bullfrogs there, too. They
      have not had any in previous years either.
      Does anyone know why they showed up this year? And in different sizes?

      Thanks for any information!

      Debie Brown
      Konnowac Pass
      Moxee, WA
      sturnella@...

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 29, 2010
        Hi All,

        I believe Bullfrogs are considered invasive species, whenever they show up in a new area. They damage other amphibian populations, at the very least, and probably do more bad things. A herp expert out there know more?

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 29, 2010
          Bullfrogs are indeed invasive, consuming not only virtually all of the
          native amphibians they share habitat with but also turtles (including
          threatened ones)as well as birds and mammals. Basically any animal that
          will fit in their large mouths will be consumed. Their appetite will quickly
          reduce the biodiversity of any northwest pond or lake.

          These animals spend the cold days of winter and early spring underground and
          emerge when the weather and water warm up. Adults and juveniles can travel
          overland to new ponds during warm rains at which tiem they can polinate new
          ponds and lakes.

          Unfortunately Bullfrogs appear to be adapting to colder climates and higher
          elevations much to the detriment of native wildlife, including birds,
          reptiles and other amphibians,.

          On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Andy Stepniewski <steppie@...>wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > I believe Bullfrogs are considered invasive species, whenever they show up
          > in a new area. They damage other amphibian populations, at the very least,
          > and probably do more bad things. A herp expert out there know more?
          >
          > Andy Stepniewski
          > Wapato WA
          > steppie@... <steppie%40nwinfo.net>

          Paul L. Bannick
          Nature and Bird Photography
          www.paulbannick.com
          206-352-1940

          My first book, "The Owl and the Woodpecker: Encounters with North America's
          Most Iconic Birds" features a foreword by Tony Angell and recordings by
          Martyn Stewart.

          For sample pages, book event dates and more information, see:
          http://www.paulbannick.com

        • Sturnella@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 30, 2010
            Hello
            An update on the bullfrogs--
            After watching in shock a bullfrog catch and drown viciously a bird and
            'eat' it ( it 'sucked' the guts out of it's chest! ) - I decided the
            bullfrogs have to go. They definitely lost the 'cuteness'!!!
            If you want a photo of it- I can email it--it's very graphic.

            Our pond was full of some new weeds this year, too. They were very long and
            fern like. The frogs loved to sit on them. So my husband and I spent 3
            full days pulling out the weeds. ( which we would have done with or without
            the bullfrogs) Their favorite habitat is mostly gone. We are going to catch
            the 7 bullfrogs and get rid of them.

            Debie Brown
            Konnowac Pass
            Moxee, WA
            sturnella@...

          • Paul Bannick
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 30, 2010
              Two ways to get rid of bullfrogs:

              1) go out at night with a flashlight and shine the light in their eyes
              while you net them from behind. The light causes them to "mostly"
              freeze.
              2) Collect their eggs in the summer when they start out as a frothy
              mass at the surface. Be careful not to confuse them with the eggs of
              Red-legged frog. See a reference like "Corkran and Thoms" "Amphibians
              of OR, WA and BC for great photos and descriptions.
              IF you wait till the eggs think you will have thousands of frogs to
              deal with next year :(

              Paul