Wenas Weekend Birding

  • Lori Isley
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2010
      Stan, Lisa Pelly & I and our dog friends Sally & Scout spent two days
      birding around the Wenas. We saw a total of 64 species, many year
      birds for us. Some highlights include: the display flight of a
      CALLIOPE HUMMINGBIRD at the junction of Maloy and Audubon Roads; GRAY
      FLYCATCHERS making their territorial calls at our camp off of Maloy
      Rd.; DUSKY FLYCATCHERS and PYGMY NUTHATCHES also responding
      territorially to Stan's bird jam at Audubon Camp; NASHVILLE AND
      TOWNSEND'S WARBLERS along Umtanum Creek; brilliant LEWIS'S
      WOODPECKERS in display flight above Umtanum Falls at the ridgetop;
      CASSIN'S VIREO near Umtanum Falls; and our first BLACK-HEADED
      GROSBEAK of the season at the Hardy Canyon Gate. Species list
      below. It was a great weekend. Cheers.

      Lori & Stan Isley
      18th Avenue, Yakima WA

      Gray Partridge (Perdix perdix)
      Ring-necked Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus)
      Ruffed Grouse (Bonasa umbellus)
      Sooty Grouse (Dendragapus fuliginosus)
      California Quail (Callipepla californica)
      Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
      Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura)
      Northern Harrier (Circus cyaneus)
      Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus)
      Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)
      American Kestrel (Falco sparverius)
      Wilson's Snipe (Gallinago delicata)
      Rock Pigeon (Columba livia)
      Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura)
      Vaux's Swift (Chaetura vauxi)
      Calliope Hummingbird (Stellula calliope)
      Lewis's Woodpecker (Melanerpes lewis)
      Red-naped Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus nuchalis)
      Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens)
      Hairy Woodpecker (Picoides villosus)
      White-headed Woodpecker (Picoides albolarvatus)
      Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)
      Gray Flycatcher (Empidonax wrightii)
      Dusky Flycatcher (Empidonax oberholseri)
      Say's Phoebe (Sayornis saya)
      Western Kingbird (Tyrannus verticalis)
      Cassin's Vireo (Vireo cassinii)
      Steller's Jay (Cyanocitta stelleri)
      Black-billed Magpie (Pica hudsonia)
      Common Raven (Corvus corax)
      Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor)
      Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica)
      Mountain Chickadee (Poecile gambeli)
      Red-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta canadensis)
      Pygmy Nuthatch (Sitta pygmaea)
      House Wren (Troglodytes aedon)
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula)
      Western Bluebird (Sialia mexicana)
      Mountain Bluebird (Sialia currucoides)
      Townsend's Solitaire (Myadestes townsendi)
      American Robin (Turdus migratorius)
      European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)
      Nashville Warbler (Vermivora ruficapilla)
      Yellow Warbler (Dendroica petechia)
      Yellow-rumped Warbler (Dendroica coronata)
      Townsend's Warbler (Dendroica townsendi)
      Spotted Towhee (Pipilo maculatus)
      Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina)
      Brewer's Sparrow (Spizella breweri)
      Vesper Sparrow (Pooecetes gramineus)
      Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)
      White-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia leucophrys)
      Golden-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia atricapilla)
      Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis)
      Black-headed Grosbeak (Pheucticus melanocephalus)
      Lazuli Bunting (Passerina amoena)
      Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus)
      Western Meadowlark (Sturnella neglecta)
      Brewer's Blackbird (Euphagus cyanocephalus)
      Brown-headed Cowbird (Molothrus ater)
      Cassin's Finch (Carpodacus cassinii)
      House Finch (Carpodacus mexicanus)
      American Goldfinch (Carduelis tristis)