Cassin's Finches

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2010

      This is my third season with Project Feeder Watch through
      Cornell University. Monday, March 22, I had my first of the
      season Cassin's Finch visit my feeders...a dull, female or
      first year male. On March 29, two bright males joined a drab
      Cassin's. The past couple of days, I catch a glimpse now
      and then of a single Cassin's. Last year, the records show
      I did not have any of this species during the count period
      which ends in mid-April. However, two years ago, two
      showed up on March 18, three the next week and 17 on
      April 3, the final week of the count.

      Also on the 29th, three Pine Siskins were recorded. This
      season, I had only one Siskin on Dec 14 until Monday.

      The Feeder Watch program is pretty cool in marinating
      records that one can review to spot trends at the ol'
      backyard feeder.

      A trend that I did not jump for joy about was the Starlings
      discovering my suet feeders last week and wiping them
      clean.

      Befuddled Birder by 3700 Boonie Boon