Evening grosbeaks

  • deborahessman
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2010
      This morning we are hosting two pairs of evening grosbeaks at our feeders--the first this year! Exquisite bird, albeit a bit of a bully when it comes to sunflower seeds. Several killdeer arrived last week in our pasture, and we've had pine siskens traveling through lately. The de juncos in the yard are starting to sing, so they'll be leaving for high country soon.

      Yesterday we jeeped up Parke Creek,headed north along the Beacon Ridge and eventually down Colockum Pass. Lots of snow up high (4600 feet elevation at top) but good conditions and no winching, digging, or cussing involved. A few western and mountain bluebirds (saw them last weekend too), along with mountain chickadees, white-breasted nuthatches, de juncos, and robins. A few townsend's groundsquirrels are out already in the valley, as are the rockchucks. Still quite a few bald eagles in the valley; last week I saw a large kettle of raptors that included 6 bald eagles, 3 red-tailed hawks and about 12 ravens right over the house. Deborah on the Brick Mill Rd north of Kittitas.