Selah Butte Rosy Finches-28 February

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2010
      Yakkers,

      It was a beautiful afternoon on Selah Butte. At 4 pm, while I was listening
      to a pair of Prairie Falcons scream from their nesting cliffs, a loose flock
      of Gray-crowned Rosy Finches flew to the upper rimrock southwest of the
      summit. While I relaxed on a boulder top hundreds of feet below, the finches
      nervously flitted about the bunchgrass slopes near the rocks, at times
      erupting into flight.

      Chukars have really launched into full courtship calling over the past week.
      Man alive, these birds are stoked, with their "rucka rucka rucka" calls
      echoing off the cliffs! I flushed six birds and heard another three or four,
      so the bird hunters missed at least a few.

      Canyon Wrens, too, seem in full song, with their lovely chant ringing from
      the cliffs.

      At the river in brush were Golden-crowned and Song Sparrows.

      I looked closely and could find only 7 Bighorn Sheep.

      Pacific Treefrogs called from near the river, the first "herp" for 2010
      here.

      In addition to numerous Canby's Biscuitroots in bloom, I again saw a few
      Sagebrush Buttercups of spring this morning.

      Birds noted:

      Chukar - 9

      Red-tailed Hawk - 2

      Prairie Falcon - 2