Mountain bluebirds and a 4 falcon weekend

  • deborahessman
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2010
      Hi Yakkers--

      Yesterday we jeeped up Parke Creek to the Beacon Ridge Road then down the
      Little Brushy to the "red barn" where the old Rothrock homestead used to be. The
      barn is long gone, as is the house, although the foundations are still there.
      Just as we came into sight of their old orchard, we saw a large darkly hooded
      bird in one of the cottonwoods. We quickly glassed it & confirmed it to be a
      Peregrine falcon. A beautiful dark blue-gray bird, it launched off the tree and
      headed east towards the Columbia River only a few miles down canyon.

      This morning we headed up the Colockum Rd thinking we might make down to
      Takiasin, but at "4 corners" where the Caribou Rd connects we were met with too
      much deep rotten snow, so back down we went. We decided to head up Parke Creek
      instead then down to Quilomene Bay (on the Columbia). Just a few miles from the
      house we saw a Prairie falcon on a power pole on Lyons Rd. along with several
      Am. kestrels. Just as we got off the pavement past the "Boys Home" we saw a pair
      of mountain bluebirds! They are the first we've seen this year, seems a little
      early? We made it to the bay by 1 PM, & enjoyed watching golden and bald eagles
      soaring overhead, as well as a dozen big horn sheep which watched us from the
      cliffs above. We headed out around 3 PM, and halfway up the ridge, on the same
      sign post we'd seen it several times before, was the Gyrfalcon! It took off like
      a rocket, and landed on a fencepost about five hundred feet away. This robust
      bird is a light gray morph, and we've seen it three times now in the same spot
      this winter. Must be finding plenty of chukars and huns. With the misty fog
      hanging around us like a shroud, we idled up the ridge and let her be. Deborah
      on the Brick Mill Rd north of Kittitas