Robins this afternoon

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 14, 2010

      I went out to Galloway Road this afternoon, getting there at about
      4:40. There was a couple from Olympia there searching for robins but
      they didn't have binos with them, so they weren't seeing manyh robins.

      The robins were flying into the Suntides area at a much higher
      elevation than I noticed in the past few years. I called Richard to
      ask about his technique for seeing the birds when he was there
      yesterday. He suggested that a spotting scope was necessary. He
      also said that the birds seemed to be more abundant to the south,
      coming east over Naches Heights.

      So with the use of my spotting scope, we were able to see many more
      robins flying east. I estimated the flow of robins for 30 minutes
      was at least 600 birds per minute. For ten minutes before and after
      the main stream (20 minutes total), I estimated 300 birds per
      minute. The total for the evening was 24,000. It is a very
      difficult task to estimate the flow of robins. I do think that 24,
      000 is a fairly close estimate for the evening.

      I drove around the east-most streets in the area north of the golf
      course. There were many, many robins in the trees.

      Denny Granstrand
      * Denny Granstrand *
      * Yakima, WA *
      * dgranstrand@... *
      * Denny's bird photos can be seen online at: *
      http://granstrand.net/gallery/
    • STAN BELSHER
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 16, 2010
        Birding on Sunday around noon at the south end of the greenway we saw more than we expected. Yellow rump warbler(150) robin (26) red wing black bird (2 downey woodpecker (6) cedar waxwing (250) chickadee (1) flicker (9) bewick wren (1) white throated sparrow (1) song sparrow (6) junco (80) red tailed hawk (1) kestrel (1) mallard duck (6) wood duck (3) white crown sparrow (3) and towhee (1). Later that day on south 26th avenue we saw a varried thrush, two crows, 15 house finches, 42 house sparrows, and ten quail. At the pond near Costco we saw a ringbill duck and 14 mallards.

        To: BirdYak@yahoogroups.com