great egret along Yakima River

  • kevinslucas
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2010
      Yesterday at about 4:15 I saw a great egret flying southeast above the Yakima River, near the end of the Greenway path at Valley Mall Blvd.
      Having just read Andy S's list of birds of Yakima County 1999, it seems this is unusual. I also saw a lone wood duck drake on the pond north of the parking area. Though not as unusual, it's always a striking sight for me.
      I'm just starting to find out what's common here, so please pardon me if I mention something as unusual that's not -- but please do correct me.
      Thanks for everyone's contributions. I'm new to the area, and now that it seems I can, I'll try to contribute irruptive posts.
      Kevin
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2010
        Hi Kevin,

        Sightings of Great Egret, along with several other birds, have become more frequent in the past 10 years in the Yakima Valley region. Others include Double-crested Cormorant, Peregrine Falcon, and Western Scrub-Jay. Eurasian Collared -Dove, unrecorded hereabouts 10 years ago, is now of regular occurrence.

        On the flip side, Ferruginous Hawk seems to be making its last gasp here, showing up rarely in spring, then vanishing for the rest of the year. Sadly, our diminishing observations of this beautiful raptor are in line with its decline over much of its historic range, reflecting shrub-steppe habitat loss and decline of important prey species (jackrabbits and native ground squirrels) for this raptor.

        Thanks for your interest in the birdlife of the Yakima area. If you are interested in meeting fellow birders, consider joining the Yakima Valley Audubon Society.Google us and you'll find membership info, past newsletters, and a wealth of other info.