Bohemian Waxwings near Wenas Lake

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2010

      Forrest Gump's mother always said, " Life is like a box of
      chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." Sometimes
      birding can emulate life.

      Elizabeth Bohn and I tried to stay on the road today while searching
      for the Gyrfalcon that Denny found near the Wenas Cemetery earlier
      this week. Had no luck on the falcon but we did find Denny...at the
      cemetery, no less. Unlike others at the site, he had a pulse.

      We drove Longmire Road-North Wenas-Boyd-Freemont (Prairie Falcon
      eating red entrails)-Huntzinger-Sheep Company-North Wenas (again.)

      Abandoning the fizzled falcon frenzy, we headed to the Wenas area
      hoping for Northern Pygmy Owl or Wild Turkey. No luck there but
      a quick look at the green dot road (Hessler Flats?) that branches
      from mid-Wenas Lake rousted 20 Bohemian Waxwings just inside
      the brand new yellow gate.

      As the birds glided into a bare tree, I was ready to pass them off
      as Starlings. But crests warranted a look through the bins and the
      rich rusty-cinnamon undertail coverts were ablaze. They quickly
      flushed towards Wenas Lake. A quick scan of the area didn't reveal
      anything obvious that the birds might have been feeding on. Twenty
      yards inside the gate were some rose hips but nothing else in the
      shrub steppe beyond. Perhaps just birds in transient?

      Wenas Wallower