Poppoff Trail 30 Dec

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2009

      Under gray skies, five of us probed winter for the brightness of bird
      eyes along the Poppoff Trail. The Greenway staff had plowed the
      paved pathway allowing those in tennis shoes to survive somewhat
      dry-footed. Despite the good work of the tractor blade, three of us
      managed fancy hoo-doo footwork when striding upon banana peel
      strips of compact snow. Fortunately, no one went down!

      We encountered a small knot of Song Sparrows early into the walk.
      Perhaps due to the fresh blanket of snow, the songsters were
      imitating creepers by adhering to tree trunks in search of...spiders
      and/or eggs?? Near the Sparrow Patch South, Yellow-rumped
      Warblers were favoring large diameter stems as launch pads for
      sallying out for an occasional bug. Normally, I associate these
      tiny warblers with perches they can wrap their teeny toes around.
      Perhaps, as with the earlier Song Sparrows, some type of bark
      bug was hatching to magnetize the insectivores to vertical perches
      worthy of human tree huggers.

      At the Patch itself, the small snow shovel Elizabeth Bohn kindly
      toted was put to work to clear a fresh drop zone for a seed offering.
      Three Spotted Towhees flamed through a couple dozen Juncos here
      but, while a Fox Sparrow did show, the White-throated Sparrow that
      John has nurtured since Thanksgiving failed to punch in.

      At an earlier visit to the Patch, Jean Chott and granddaughter Hanna
      Born noted a larger than quail chickenlike bird with side streaking.
      I'm wondering if the Ruffed Grouse that evaded my year list snuck
      in just to confound me.

      Punkish Bewick's Wrens were the most confrontational species
      encountered during the walk; the closest thing to sunshine was
      the Varied Thrush that Terry M. eyed high in a cottonwood.

      And while this breach may not be worthy of national news,
      Homeland Security failed once again. A lone male House
      Sparrow penetrated the Poppoff perimeter to strut upon the
      stump at the patch. Barrack will not be happy!

      Did I say happy? Happy New Year to all Yakkers!

      Location: Poppoff Trail
      Observation date: 12/30/09
      Notes: Gray overcast, calm, 2 inches fresh snow, 29 degrees
      Number of species: 29

      Canada Goose 90
      Wood Duck 2
      Mallard 3
      Northern Shoveler 2
      Ring-necked Duck 1
      California Quail 4
      Pied-billed Grebe 2
      Great Blue Heron 1
      Red-tailed Hawk 2
      American Kestrel 1
      Belted Kingfisher 2
      Downy Woodpecker 2
      Northern Flicker 16
      Black-billed Magpie 1
      Black-capped Chickadee 3
      Bewick's Wren 5
      Hermit Thrush 1
      American Robin 12
      Varied Thrush 1
      European Starling 45
      Yellow-rumped Warbler 6
      Spotted Towhee 4
      Fox Sparrow 1
      Song Sparrow 9
      White-crowned Sparrow 12
      Golden-crowned Sparrow 1
      Dark-eyed Junco 30
      House Finch 9
      House Sparrow 1

      This report was generated automatically by eBird v2

      Poppoff Pauper
      Onion Gulch, WA

    • Scott R a y
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2009
        > "And while this breach may not be worthy of national news,
        > Homeland Security failed once again. A lone male House
        > Sparrow penetrated the Poppoff perimeter to strut upon the
        > stump at the patch. Barrack will not be happy!"

        Or as he would say, and against all the evidence, "That House Sparrow was
        just an isolated extremist!"

      • Elizabeth Bohn
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 31, 2009
          Rich,

          Does this mean next year, I get my own little shovel for Christmas?

          Elizabeth Bohn