[Eaglechat] Goshawk takes Short-eared owls - action photos

  • Scott R a y
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30 6:33 PM
      Eaglechat, the birding email list for Juneau, Alaska is one of the lists I
      follow. This interesting item appeared there this afternoon posted by a
      Juneau resident. Click on the link below to view the amazing photos.

      Scott R a y
      Yakima, WA
      mryakima at gmail dot com

      http://zachhanna.smugmug.com/Nature/Owls/10401400_3w6Ws#726767879_eaggo

      Every year I look forward to the return of the short-eared owls. They are
      such graceful and purposeful flyers and are one of my favorite photographic
      subjects. I run across dead owls on occasion and have always wondered what
      preys on them. This year I got my answer. I was out at Juneau's Mendenhall
      wetlands photographing a pair of owls when a dark raptor flew in
      low-and-fast across the flats. It immediately attacked one of the owls. I
      thought it was a northern harrier at first, but from its size and the
      intensity of the battle, I knew it had to be something else. The attacker
      pursued the owl until they finally engaged in the air and then both birds
      went to the ground.

      I hoped for an OK outcome for the owl, but it wasn't to be. The pursuer
      flew away with the owl in its talons a short while later. They were a
      distance away and it was somewhat dark, but I took some photo's anyway
      hoping to identify the aggressor. It appears to have been an immature
      northern goshawk.

      I put some of the photos up at the start of the owl section on my website
      at:

      Subsequent to this initial encounter, I was out at the wetlands on the
      Industrial Boulevard side on Thanksgiving Day photographing the owls again.
      As I was leaving, an owl flew over a patch of tall grass and was attacked
      from below and brought to the ground by a fast raptor. I walked over to the
      area and found an immature goshawk busily plucking the feathers from the
      owl. I took a number of closer shots of this goshawk since it was in no
      hurry to leave. A couple of these photos are up on the website as well.

      Please let me know if you have different ID's for the birds.

      Regards,

      -Zach

    • Scott Downes
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2009
        Thanks Scott! If people want a nice treat, go to the rest of his photos
        after looking at the gos/owl encounter. Be sure to click on the northern
        lights gallery. Took me back to many fond evenings in Alaska. Truly amazing
        photos!

        Scott Downes
        Yakima, WA
        downess@...