RE: [BirdYak] Rough-legged Hawk

  • Kerry L Turley
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 19, 2009
      My limited experience has been that RLHAs show up around Bickleton a bit
      ahead of the ones in the valley proper.

      Kerry
      Sunnyside

      _____

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 24, 2009
        We have a Rough-legged Hawk here this morning. I spooked him from his
        perch wehen I tried to get close enough to get a decent picture. Now a
        Raven is busy attacking him.

        Last week we had two Cooper's Hawks dining on quail in the yard.

        Sue
        Sawyer, WA
      • Jeff Kozma
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 30, 2010
          On my lunch hour today I went to try and find the Rough-legged Hawk found by
          Denny along Pumphouse Road. I did see the bird at mile 7.4 from HWY 97. It
          was perched in a tree far off the road behind the house at that location and
          bordering an open field. It appears to be a light-phase bird with the very
          dark belly patch. Other birds of note along this route was a Golden Eagle
          on the ground about 100 feet from the road feeding on a road-killed
          something and an adult Bald Eagle perched in a tree along HWY 97 just before
          the turn off to Pumphouse Road. Complete list is below. All the shrikes I
          saw appeared to be first-year immatures by the heavy amount of barring and
          brownish plumage. Two were perched on road signs making viewing easy and
          close.

          Bald Eagle 1

          Northern Harrier 2

          Red-tailed Hawk 7