Arboretum sparrow patch - gone condo?

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2000
      Yikes,

      Took a bag of seed to the arboretum this afternoon after being out of town
      for a week and discovered a new look at the sparrow patch.  Biggest platform
      feeder I've seen!  Complete with a 30 gallon hopper.

      I was there from 2:15 to 3:00, dozens of birds feeding.  As usual they would
      flush and return.  There were far more House Finches than I had seen on
      previous visits and when they retreated to the tree tops, I decided to make a
      count.  After totaling 61, I returned my gaze to the patch to find a lone
      bird perched on the edge of the feeder roof, an adult Sharp-shinned Hawk.
      After posing for a moment, he hopped into the brush flushing a couple LBJs
      which he briefly chased unsuccessfully.  Having failed, he flew to high perch
      in a tree.  Needless to say, the patch remained pretty quiet except for 4
      Black-capped Chickadees flitting in one feeder bush...evidently feeling safe
      as I was between them and the Sharp-shinned.

      Species seen:

      61 House Finch
      20+ Dark-eyed Junco
      8 Black-billed Magpie (flying overhead)
      6-8 House Sparrow
      4-6 White-crowned Sparrow (all imm.)
      4 Black-capped Chickadee
      2 Song Sparrow
      2 Fox Sparrow
      1 Spotted Towhee
      1 Sharp-shinned Hawk
      Quail were heard but not seen

      If you are a a fellow beginner (I hope I'm not the only one in this group), I
      would encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity that Denny has
      created at the arboretum.  It's a great place to sit close and observe bird
      behavior and work on ID skills.  In the past I have tried to stretch Song
      Sparrows and immature White-crowned Sparrows into something more exotic.
      After a few trips to the patch, I have a better handle on the more common
      sparrows and even feel comfortable with Fox Sparrow ID.  Plus you may see the
      Harris' and/or White-throated Sparrows!

      Hope the weather holds till you get there.