1 August - Vredenburgh Trail and Wenas Lake

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2009
      Chur chur,

      The tallies from this week are in for the Vredenburgh Bluebird
      Trail.

      The nest box trail begins at the end of the pavement on North
      Wenas Road (approximately 3 miles beyond Wenas Lake) and
      continues 14 miles to the intersection with Durr Road overlooking
      Ellensburg. There are a total of 132 nest boxes along the trail.

      This week's totals:

      eggs - 0
      nestlings - 51

      Fledged this week:

      Western Bluebird - 7
      Mountain Bluebird - 15

      Year to date fledged:

      Western Bluebird - 454
      Mountain Bluebird - 74
      White-breasted Nuthatch - 2
      (the average total bluebird production over the last twenty years is
      410 bluebirds per year)

      Thus this year has now totaled 528 fledged bluebirds...well above
      average; five hundred fledged/yr has only been attained five times in
      the trail's 28 year history.

      The remaining 51 nestlings are spread into 14 active nests.

      En route to the trail, I stopped at Wenas Lake. The water has now
      dropped enough that one small pool surrounded by mud has been
      created in front of the old resort's location. Working this small area
      were three Spotted Sandpipers, two Least Sandpipers and one Greater
      Yellowlegs...plus a handful of Killdeer.

      On the way home, I stopped again to check out the boat ramp side.
      The concrete ramp still touches the water; three adults and six to
      eight youngsters were using the ramp as a staging area for frolicking
      in a wading/swimming frenzy. Near as I could tell, it is still not
      possible to walk in front of the small willows that line the shore from
      the ramp to the old resort location. A lone fisherman manned the
      latter locale, standing on a small point projecting into the water in
      front of the aforementioned small pool. The Spotted Sands had
      abandoned the pool but the others remained.

      Birding the Blue,
      R. A. Repp
      Rich the Bluebird Snitch
      Wenas Wanderer