great horned owl family

  • vangogirl
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2009
      Finally, some results to all of the hooting which went on all winter and spring.
      For the past month, at least one adult owl has been flying around my yard, over my house and past the windows, perching on poles and in trees. I was not sure if it was a single. Two nights ago, I finally saw two together. They were flying back and forth from a tree to one particular telephone pole. No hooting. They have been 'squeaking' lately.
      Last night one swooped past my front window again and again. I checked on him and he was just staying around the front yard pole. So I went out to look for owl #2; just as I did, it landed on to the back pole. Then, immediately, so did two smaller owls. Owl #1 flew back to them, and they all squeaked and fluttered. The big owls flew all over, staying out front, the little ones finally took off one after the other, flew right over me and up over the house to the front pole. That pole had no arms, so they fought over the top, one finally settling on the wire. He stayed there for several minutes, then went back to the pole out back. The one in front sat there for about 20 minutes. One larger one came back to them after the little ones squeaked and cried. They took off some time after that, heading into some cottonwoods.
      I have never seen anything like this; even though I have had a higher percentage of chances than most people. I feel good that there are two more owls at least for this summer.

      Oh, yes, a non-bird happening two weeks ago involved being swarmed over by honey bees. They stormed through the backyard, up over my shed, east over a group of trees and swirled away. The sound was amazing. I experienced a swarm about 50 years ago. They are something.