Yakima County Birdathon today-Yakima Training Center and Priest Rapids

    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2009
      Yakkers, Ellen, Ross, and myself are just back from a full day out on the
      Yakima Training Center and Priest Rapids Lake. Warm weather made for a great
      day of birding with lots of migrants. We had Great Horned, Long-eared, and
      Short-eared Owls, and Common Poorwill. We found lots of migrants in the
      riparian areas including warblers (six species including MacGillivray's and
      yellow-breasted Chat), flycatchers (Dusky and Hammond's for Empids), orioles
      and tanagers. We did well on sparrows except Grasshopper. We saw Chukar
      easily but missed sage grouse, though not without trying. In all we saw
      about 57 species on the Yakima Training Center, a very good day indeed for
      spring out there.

      Priest Rapids Lake, by contrast, was exceptionally quiet, perhaps because
      the Birdathon date was later than usual and many waterbirds had departed for
      the north. We did manage Horned, Eared, and Western Grebes, and Common and
      PACIFIC LOON. Gulls were sparse but we netted a few each of Ring-billed,
      California, and HERRING. There were plenty of Caspian and Forster's Terns.
      We did not see the Peregrines that bred there last year. Pelicans and
      cormorants were about, as expected.

      I'm anxious to hear short messages from the other teams as you get time and
      energy to do this. And, please send me your team's results as soon as you
      can, preferably by e-mail.

      Thank You,