Re: Western Tanager

  • elizabethbohn
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2009
      Yakkers,

      I have Western Tangers at my house as well.

      Elizabeth (elizabethannbohn.com)

      --- In BirdYak@yahoogroups.com, Rich712@... wrote:

      > Chirp,
      >
      > Just had a male Western Tanager with just a blush of reddish on his
      > forehead visit my birdbath...equipped with a milk jug dripper. Still don't
      > trust these chilly nights to hook my tube dripper.
      >
      > Later,
      > Rich
      > Befuddled Birder by 3700 Bonnie Boone

    • Sherrel Hailstone
      Message 2 of 12 , May 16, 2009
        Oh - exciting! We have a Western Tanager hanging out in the back yard right now. Bruce said he saw it yesterday too, but didn't get as good a look at it. It's a first yard bird for us.

        Bruce and Sherrel Hailstone
        72/Washington area.

      • Nancy Darby
        Message 3 of 12 , May 15, 2011
          Hi, Yakkers,
          I thought I would post this as it is not a common sighting for me. We birded in Crow's Butte on Friday May 13th and found a male western Tanager near the day use area. Beautiful bird.
          Keep birding,

          Nancy
          ritzyteach@...
          Kennewick, Wa
        • Michael Roper
          Message 4 of 12 , May 4, 2014
            I've been hearing Western Tanagers in the yard for the last 3 days but they've been eluding me in the tall trees. Finally today I had a little more time and found one, an absolutely gorgeous male. Well worth the time to look for it!
            Mike Roper
            Terrace Heights
          • king.linda93
            Message 5 of 12 , May 27, 2014

              Greetings!

              I am beginning to think I need to plant my daughter Sarah at the kitchen window because once again she called me to the kitchen saying, "Another rare bird, Mom."  Rare indeed...life bird for us and new to our yard...a male Western Tanager in all of its breeding finery.

              I was able to get a few photos through the window before it flew. We have used the call since but so far it has not responded.

              I see where they will come for small fruit but the only thing I have available for them is grape jelly in the oriole feeder. Does anyone have them in their yard and if so what are your observations?

              Linda King, the old rookie birder in White Swan

            • moonax52
              Message 6 of 12 , May 27, 2014

                Hi Linda, this must be tanager day!  I just had a pretty male in my birdbath. The first one I've seen this year.  They usually come through here every spring but only stay a couple days. I know that they nest up around Bickleton, probably do in your neck of the woods too, but I don't know for sure. In my yard they like leftover Mt Ash berries when there are any, and love the dripping birdbath.

                Phyllis -    Grandview

              • moonax52
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 30, 2014

                  I noticed in yesterdays Bird Alert that  someone had seen one in Sunnyside. I was also very surprised yesterday to see a pretty male eating berries in a little Mulberry tree that I have.  Couldn't believe seeing one this time of year.

                  Phyllis - east of Grandview

                  PS Our resident Swainsons Hawks fledged in the last week.  Looks like 3 babies again this year. Parents must be good hunters.

                • Scott Downes
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 30, 2014
                    I think there has been some post-breeding dispersal happening. I've heard one tanager around our house this week in Yakima and saw a female tanager at WDFW headquarters in Yakima today eating berries during lunch. This happens by many species after their breeding attempt but before southward migration.

                    Scott Downes
                    Yakima Wa