White-winged Crossbill, Long-tailed Duck photos

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1 2:23 PM

      I left home yesterday morning intending to scout the Yakima River
      Canyon and Kittitas Valley for my field trip on March 14. Instead I
      ended up in Othello. On the way, just north of Wanapum Dam I saw six
      LONG-TAILED DUCKS and got photos of a pair which has been reported
      near the dam for over a week.

      In Othello three WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS have been spending time at
      the cemetery. I joined Bill and Nancy LaFramboise from Kennewick in
      searching for them. Bill found the male and Nancy found two females
      feeding in a spruce tree. The male joined them a few minutes
      later. They posed nicely for photos.

      As I drove along Road 15.1 west of Othello on the way to Royal Lake,
      I found SANDHILL CRANES in a cornfield. As I watched them and took
      photos, many more landed in the field.

      There has been a ROSS'S GOOSE with many, many Canada and Cackling
      Geese on Royal Lake west of Othello. As I walked onto the
      observation deck overlooking the lake, a good-sized flock of
      TAVERNER'S CACKLING GEESE took flight and the Ross's Goose joined
      them. I got one good photo of it in flight. It landed on the lake
      well out of photo range.

      Photos of the ducks, crossbills, cranes and other highlights are in
      the new photos folder on my website.

      Denny Granstrand
      Southwest of the Yakima airport and beyond
      * Denny Granstrand *
      * Yakima, WA *
      * dgranstrand@... *
      * Denny's bird photos can be seen online at: *
      http://granstrand.net/gallery/