Naches to the Nile

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2002
      yakkers,

      Denny Granstrand and myself birded the lower east slopesof the Cascades this
      morning (January 12). In the outskirts of Tieton, we noted swarms of
      American Robins and starlings in orchards with fruit remaining (hailed on
      fruit?). Orchards with crab apples (for pollenizers) seemed to have lots of
      activity, also. We did not run into any Bohemian Waxwings, though a flock
      was noted there earlier in the week.

      In Naches, we encountered a small flock of 15 or so Common Redpolls in a
      stand of birch lining a canal in the middle of the main residential
      district. There were a few American Goldfinches mixed in, too.

      In Lost Creek Village, below Cliffdell, at a suet feeder (two houses west of
      Naches River), we had a very nice collection of birds, including a pair of
      White-headed Woodpeckers, Black-capped (1), Mountain (15), and
      Chestnut-backed (3) Chickadees, Red-breasted (2), and White-breasted (1)
      Nuthatches, and House Finches (30).

      Over Cleman Mountain in the Nile were several Bald Eagles, at least one
      Golden Eagle, and a few Clark's Nutcrackers.

      Good birding,