Gray-crowned Rosy-Finches in the Yakima Canyon - Juanuary 1, 2002!

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2002
      Yakkers,

      Between 3:15 and 4 pm this afternoon, Ellen and I observed at least one,
      perhaps several flocks of Gray-crowned Rosy-Finches in the Yakima Canyon. In
      one flock, we counted about 20 birds. This is the third winter I've observed
      this finch at this location. Park off SR-821 at the pullout just north of
      Milepost 4 (4 miles north of I-82). Scan the highest cliffs across the
      river. These birds are quitedistinctive in flight, even from afar, due to
      their contrasty-hued wings, which flash silvery as they whirl about high in
      the air. The finches probably roost in this cliff and begin arriving from
      their daytime feeding (presumably snow-free south slopes of Umptanum or the
      other high ridges ofthe "Yakima Fold Belt") areas at about 3 pm. You'll need
      a scope. These birds move about quite a bit on the cliffs. We also noted 1
      adult Bald Eagle, and calling Chukars.

    • Deb Davis & Ken Bevis
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 8, 2002
        Yakkers:
        Local sightings: Last weekend, a WDFW employee saw a gyrfalcon in the
        upper reaches of Cottonwood Creek on the L.T. Murray Wildlife area, just
        north of Selah. He described it accurately, and said that the bird sat on
        a rocky point for a long time, allowing him to approach "within 50 feet".
        I saw a goshawk on the Sunnyside wildlife area last Saturday. Bald eagles
        all along the Yakima River today and yesterday, from here to Ellensburg.

        Kauai: Mid December my wife and I spent 10 wonderful days on Kauai. I
        recommend it to all. Warm breezes, blueblue ocean, coconut palms, fresh
        fruit, didn't wear socks for 9 days, shorts, lots of tropical vegetation,
        unreal and somewhat unbelievable. Very pleasant. Bird watching was fun,
        with a bunch of odd species, and a few known thrown in for shock value.
        Most of the lowland terrestrial birds are non-native, with a few native
        water and sea birds. Here is my nearly complete bird list:
        (* = native species)
        *Laysan albatross - nesting on ground and quite tame
        Japanese White eye - common
        Myna - everywhere and loud
        spotted dove
        Zebra dove - tame and common
        English sparrow - in town of course
        Red-crested cardinal - striking
        Cattle egret - they walk funny
        Jungle fowl - (wild chickens) that stood all over lawns and the roads!
        cockadoodledoo.
        *Black crowned night heron
        *Black necked (Hawaiian stilt)
        *Frigate bird - Kilauea light house - great fliers
        *Red footed booby - nesting on cliff trees
        *Nene geese - Stately goose found only in National Wildlife Refuges and
        doing ok on Kauai b/c there are no mongoose on this island. This also
        explains the chickens.
        *White tailed tropic bird - graceful cliff nesters, my favorite
        Northern cardinal - just like back east
        White rumped shama - from Indonesia, like a big towhee
        *Brown booby - at sea
        Mockingbird - just like in the deep south
        Barn owl - brought in to control rats
        Ring necked pheasant - brought in to hunt
        *Koloa, Hawaiian duck - looked just like a hen mallard
        *Pacific golden plover - winter resident, standing all over the place
        *Wandering tattler
        Nutmeg mannikin - tiny bird, flying in swarms like bugs on sugar cane
        fields
        Chestnut mannikin
        peacock - (wild)
        Meadowlark
        Chinese Melodius Laughing Thrush - my nominee for the best name
        Rock dove (pigeons)
        House finch - seen in the high rainforest
        Java sparrow - cool facial markings
        * Apapane - bright red native forest bird flying from treetop to treetop
        * Anianiau - sickle billed native forest bird observed poking through the
        bases of 14" pendant white flowers and sucking nectar.

        About 20 new life list birds for me, and I didn't really try very hard.
        Ken Bevis

        > From: Andy Stepniewski <steppie@...>
        > To: BirdYak@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [BirdYak] Gray-crowned Rosy-Finches in the Yakima Canyon -