Arboretum sparrow patch open for business

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 23, 2008

      I took some bird seed out to the Arboretum this morning. The area
      where the sparrow patch has been in the past has been changed quite a
      bit since last winter. They have planted some sort of grass in the
      spot where the bird seed was spread last year. Today I scattered in
      on both sides of the gravel road at the north end of that large, open
      area. This is just 15 yards to the west of where the sparrow patch
      was last year. Let's hope we get some rare visitors this year.

      I stopped by the Costco pond on the way home. There were four
      Killdeer and four Greater Yellowlegs working the wetland. These are
      the first yellowlegs I have seen there for at least two weeks. Maybe
      there is still hope for interesting shorebirds passing through.

      At my house there have been a few Pine Siskins visiting the thistle
      seed feeders. A Bewick's Wren was working in the pine tree outside
      our office wing yesterday. Ten to fifteen Cedar Waxwings have been
      joining the starlings and robins eating berries in the western
      juniper tree beside the house.

      Denny Granstrand
      Southwest of the Yakima airport

      * Denny Granstrand *
      * Yakima, WA *
      * dgranstrand@... *
      * Denny's bird photos can be seen online at: *
      http://granstrand.net/gallery/
    • JOHN HEBERT
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 23, 2008
        My work takes me past COSTCO in Union Gap quite often.

        There has been from 5 to 7 Greater Yellowlegs there, at a time, in the past few days.
        Killdeer and Snipe can also be found.

        Check it out,

        John Hebert

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 31, 2009

          I hauled rakes and birdseed out to the Yakima Area Arboretum this
          morning. I fmade a few location for the sparrow patch. For those
          who have never been there, here are complete directions:

          Park at the gravel parking area north of the main parking lot for the
          arboretum office. There is a walkway, which is near a new white
          gazebo, out of the parking lot. Standing at that walkway, you will
          see a bushy pine tree to the ENE. Walk straight past that pine tree,
          passing on the left side of it, until you come to the cottonwoods and
          bushes on the east side of the arboretum. You will see a dirt
          roadway through the cottonwoods.. Follow that dirt roadway 20 steps
          or so and you will come to the area where the cuttings from the
          arboretum are piled. You will see a row of bales of straw more or
          less in front of you. I scattered birdseed at the east end of the
          straw bales and around a pine tree a short distance east.

          In past years the arboretum sparrow patch has had a wide variety of
          sparrows (including White-throated and Harris's), finches, blackbirds
          and accipters visiting it.

          The arboretum is a good place to bird during the winter. North of
          the bushy pine tree is a clump of hawthorne trees, which frequently
          have robins, Varied Thrush andwaxwings (Bohemians have been seen
          there). As you drive past the main parking lot, there are crab apple
          trees, which are also good for those species. Birch trees on the
          grounds may have goldfinches. Scan the birches for Common Redpolls,
          too. The cottonwoods have many birds. Last year a Western
          Screech-Owl was found roosting in a cavity in a cottonwood tree near
          the north end of the large cottonwood grove on the east side of the arboretum.

          Make your way east to the Yakima Greenway Pathway. Follow it north
          onto the dike. You will be able to scan the river for ducks and the
          cottonwoods across the river for Bald Eagles. Buchanan Lake has been
          one of the great birding locations in Yakima County in the past 6-8
          years. Continuing north, there is a wetland between the lake and
          Sarg Hubbard Park. The ponds at the park frequently have good birds on them.

          Have fun,

          Denny Granstrand