Chinook Pass in the Wind!

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2008
      CHINOOK PASS HIKE

      Yakkers,

      Ellen and myself and four friends from Seattle enjoyed clear but cold
      weather and again (same route as last weekend) hiked from Chinook Pass
      north to Sourdough Gap. Last weeks snowfall had thankfully mostly melted.
      With stiff north winds in exposed sites I thought it a perfect day for
      raptors to migrate. Not so. I don't know where they were but they were not
      in view today. Fall color was again a highlight on this trek. The
      blueberries were a deep purple to black and the mountain ash a bright yellow
      contrasting with orange berries.

      We started the day off with an American Three-toed Woodpecker in the snags
      at the parking lot. Three-toes are an uncommon species here, usually only in
      the denser forests. This bird was working a snag right at the overlook,
      pretty neat. A Sooty Grouse just a short distance along the trail was
      another cool sighting. Just before Sheep Lake we found one Pine Grosbeak.
      Otherwise, birding was only fair.

      The views were stupendous as the sky was cloudless and the air dry so every
      ridgeline and treetop was sharply etched against the deep blue sky. At
      times, especially at Sourdough Gap, the wind blew fiercely and the cold was
      biting. We retreated quickly to the south-facing slopes where it was calmer.
      It was even pleasant at one of these stops which we declared lunch, though
      the temperature was only a little above freezing.

      On the meadows high above the west shore of Sheep Lake we admired two
      Mountain Goat billies in their ivory-white winter coats, looking very smart.

      Species list:

      Sharp-shinned Hawk - 1
      Red-tailed Hawk - 2
      Sooty Grouse - 1