Am. 3-toed woodpecker and Williamson's Sapsucker nests

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2008
      WHITE PASS HIGHWAY

      Jim Christensen called and told us great news of nests of both American
      Three-toed Woodpecker and Williamson's Sapsucker on the Bethel Ridge Road.

      First, we decided to do a quick tour of the Tieton Road, including Clear
      Lake. Though it was mid-morning, the alders around the lake were full of
      birdsong from Yellow and MacGillivray's Warblers, and Warbling Vireos. We
      hoped for something unusual such as an American Redstart or Northern
      Waterthrush so spished to lure these fantasy birds into view. Nothing of the
      sort came in. There was so much activity that we spent a couple hours at the
      lake, including stops at the northeast overlook of the lake, the conifer
      forest by the Clear Creek inlet, and the day-use area. We had 37 species at
      these first stops making it obvious Clear Lake is a great birding site.

      On the Bethel Ridge Road (FS 1500), we found the American Three-toed
      Woodpecker nest with noisy young. Go 5.9 miles uphill from US-12 to a little
      herbaceous meadow. North side of road is a 1-lane pullout. Park, facing the
      aspens (perpendicular to road). The nest is straight ahead 75 feet in the
      2nd-tier of aspens. The hole faces southeast and is about 12 feet up the
      trunk of a live aspen. There is a small bunch of burnt trees (including one
      of pole size) from a controlled burn to your right as you face north. We
      watched the female working these and other dead Lodgepole Pines. There's a
      Williamson Sapsucker nest just a little to the east along the base of the
      talus east as the slope.

      We also found a Hairy Woodpecker nest, with an adult feeding whining young,
      in Cash Prairie. Continue up FS-1500 to FS-199, go west to meadow. About
      midway across meadow, park and walk northwest (maybe 100 feet) to small
      stream cutting across meadow. Nest is facing southeast in large a Subalpine
      Fir growing along this tiny creek. It's about mid-way along stringer of
      trees growing along this creek.

      Species noted:

      Canada Goose - 25
      Mallard - 2
      Ring-necked Duck - 20
      Barrow's Goldeneye - 2
      Common Merganser - 1 female with 10 young
      Blue Grouse - 2
      Wild Turkey - 1+
      Turkey Vulture - 1
      Osprey - 2