Cowiche Wastewater Plant

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2008
      Hi All,

      Joe Schons writes me and invites birders to check out the sewage plant in
      Cowiche.

      The wastewater plant is easy to find. Just come up Summitview, go thru
      Cowiche until you hit a Y in the road, stay right, take a right on Livengood
      Road, you will see some blue colored buildings off behind a hay field, this
      is the plant. Take a right at a driveway with a 1160 blue fire sign. Follow
      the driveway to the plant. I'm here Monday thru Friday, 7:30 to 4:00. If you
      folks want to come in on a weekend morning just let me know what day and
      I'll make arrangements.

      He sends some interesting news: "I am a wastewater plant operator and
      operate the Cowiche plant. I'd like to pick your brain again about
      identifying a couple birds out here at the plant. I think I have a small
      flock of least sandpipers that flew in about a month ago and have stayed on
      to nest. Also, I had a flycatcher (spp?) nest in the eves of one building
      and hatch out about three that have fledged and are off in the bushes. The
      flycatchers are still around but I can't identify them using the pictures in
      guide books. Any advice you could give on these two would be great.

      We have a reed bed system as part of our plant and I've had the great luck
      of watching about half dozen clutches of ducks hatch, mostly mallards. But
      we have had a couple pairs of cinnamon teal, and a blue winged teal pair.
      Rails can be heard, and the usual red winged and yellow headed blackbirds
      are here as well. Tanagers were planty about a month ago, and I haven't
      even started a survey of the N. Cowiche Creek that runs next to the plant.

      So, we have a new sewage plant to explore!