From Out of the Blue

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2008

      I was up monitoring nest boxes on the Vredenburgh Trail on Monday.

      The Trail starts at the end of the pavement on North Wenas Road
      (past Wenas Lake) and continues to the intersection of Durr Road
      outside of Ellensburg. This trail (now with 132 nest boxes) was
      launched by Yakima Valley Audubon members in 1982 and in 1994
      was named in honor of Harold and Virginia Vredenburgh. They were
      on hand in the beginning of the trail and devoted countless hours in
      maintaining, extending and improving it. Since its inception, over
      10,000 bluebirds have fledged from these nest boxes.

      Our cool spring has resulted in a slow start for the cavity nesters on
      the trail. In a "normal" year, the Memorial Day weekend yields a wide
      variety of nesting stages. This year's delayed start has, to a degree,
      compressed everyone into the same progress niche...eggs and young
      nestlings everywhere.

      The egg count total was 184 with 252 nestlings packed into the boxes.
      In addition, 26 females were found incubating/brooding meaning even
      more eggs and chicks were hidden from view.

      Nestlings in only three or four boxes appeared to be developed enough
      to fledge in the next few days. I'm hoping today's rain has not hampered
      the bug supply necessary to feed all those hungry babies!

      The trail has fourteen empty boxes. One Mountain Chickadee, one
      White-breasted Nuthatch and three Tree Swallows are also using the
      nest boxes on the trail. In addition, seven House Wrens (total down
      considerably from recent years) and one House Sparrow nests were
      tallied.

      A car with four occupants stopped while I was checking Box 112. They
      were eager to investigate what I was doing and the clutch of five cute
      Mountain Bluebirds a day or so from fledging was a real hit for these
      visitors from Norway. The driver, a young man in his late twenties,
      proudly admitted to be the birder of the four; the others were, I assumed,
      his wife and the parents of one of them. The birder motioned to the
      shrub steppe around us and proclaimed, " This is heaven!" Guess
      they don't get many bluebirds in Norway.

      I gave them a copy of YVAS's Wildlife Guide and, as they indicated
      they left family in Seattle, encouraged them to consider stopping at
      the Wenas Campground or driving through the Yakima River Canyon
      for a stop at the Umtanum Creek Recreation Area (sites 26 and 7,
      respectively in your guide). The photo of the White-headed Wood-
      pecker caught the birder's eye while his wife wanted to know if we
      really had Big Horned Sheep here.

      Hope their family was ready to do dinner on their own.

      Birding the Blue,
      R. A. Repp
      Rich the Bluebird Snitch
      Wenas Wanderer